As you all may know: I am a huge fan of beauty subscription boxes and I always like to try out new subscriptions. For a while now I’ve had my eye on the Sephora Play! box: a monthly box for just $10, filled with trial sized products from popular Sephora brands. Unfortunately, the box cannot be shipped to the Netherlands and neither can it be shipped to a warehouse like Shipito. The moment I arrived in the USA I subscribed so I could enjoy the box for three months. And enjoying the boxes I sure did! If you want to know how the Play! by Sephora box looks and what products I got, keep on reading!
Every month there are a few variations in the box you can get. What box you will receive, depends on how you filled in your Sephora Play! profile, where you have to answer questions about skin type, skin problems, hair problems etc.
You’ll always receive five trial sized products in the category of make-up, haircare and/or skincare (never five of the same category) and a six bonusproduct (from what I heard, mostly a perfume sample).
Every box comes in a cute bag in the theme of the month and it comes with a poster with information about the theme and the products you got.
The September bag got me:
- Touch in Sol – Metallic Liquid Foil & Glitter eyeshadow duo in Talia
- Sephora Collection – Contour Eye Pencil 12hr Wear Waterproof in Black Lace
- Herbivore – Blue Tansy AHA + BHA Resurfacing Clarity Mask
- Ciaté London – Liquid Velvet Moisturizing Matte Liquid Lipstick in Pin Up
- Belif – The True Cream Moisturizing Bomb
- Ouai – Repair Shampoo and Conditioner (bonus product)
The October bag consisted (definitely my favorite bag of the tree):
- Urban Decay – Optical Illusion Complexion Primer
- Make Up For Ever – Ultra HD Invisible Cover Foundation in Y245
- Tarte – Rainforest of the Sea 4-in-1 Setting Mist
- Make Up For Ever – Ultra HD Skin Booster
- Dr. Brandt – PoreDermabrasion Pore Perfecting Scrub
- Tory Burch – Bel Azur (bonus product)
The November bag included (the poster is meant to be colored in by the receiver):
- Marc Jacobs Beauty – Velvet Noir Major Volume Mascara
- Philosophy – Purity Made Simple Pore Extractor Mask
- Amika – Perk Up Dry Shampoo
- Sephora Collection – Rouge Cream Lipstick in The Red
- Farmacy – Honey Drop Lightweight Moisturizer
- Burberry – My Burberry Blush (bonus product)
I feel like in the three months, I did not receive a product that does not fit my skin type and hair problems. So I think I can say that the Sephora matching system is quite on point.
In these three boxes I only received one product that I will not test because I already know it’s not my thing (the bright red lipstick) but I already know a friend who I can make very happy with it (she rocks a bright red lip). It might be the excitement of having Sephora and Sephora Play! (+ the brands) available or it is because the products are an actual good match for me, but one way or the other my conclusion is that this is my favorite beauty subscription so far. Too bad I had to cancel it when leaving the USA, but I am glad to say that there’s one more Sephora Play! box to write about later this week!
Every now and then Sephora comes out with a Limited Edition luxurious Play! box and I couldn’t be more thrilled when I saw a new edition was available while I was in the USA! You can read about that soon :).