There’s a chance that I will say this about all the products I bought in the USA, but todays review is on a palette that is one of my favorite new goodies. I had to have this palette when I saw the design, to color selection and mostly the names of the colors. So cute! Luckily for me, the palette released early when I was in the USA so I was able to get my hands on it the first round.
I’m talking about the Too Faced ‘A Girl’s Best Friend’ Eye Shadow Palette, better known as The Too Faced Clover Palette (named after the doggo it’s inspired on). When you see the design I can only think: what’s not to love? The names of the eyeshadows are adorable too, containing names like: ‘Cuteness Overload’, ‘Fur Baby’ and ‘Good Boy’. I just can’t! 🙂
I waited a bit with uploading this review though, because I wanted to make a eye look with it that got me as excited as I am about the palette in general, but I didn’t have the proper inspiration. Today however, I created the look I was waiting for!
Too Faced ‘A Girl’s Best Friend’ Eye Shadow Palette has the same size as all the other Too Faced palettes like the Sweet Peach palette and the Chocolate ones. The palette is also made of the tin kind of material and has a magnetic closing system.
I absolutely adore the design of the palette. I would totally get it though if you think the palette looks childish because obviously it does, but that’s what I like about it. It fits the whole theme of this palette.
The palette has a big mirror inside surrounded with more cuteness.
The 18 shades are a mix of matte and shimmery shades. There are a lot of basic shades for a simple eye look but you can also go crazy with the yellow, blue and bright purple.
Like you can probably tell from the swatches on my arm, by no means all the shadows are of great quality. I mean, I’ve seen eyeshadows that are way worse, but some of these shades I would not consider Too Faced’ finest hour.
The shades that are really great in quality though (like the shadows in the Sweet Peach palette, which are amazing) are: I Ruff You, Cuteness Overload, Best Friends, Wet Kisses and Spoiled.
These are all shimmery shades. There are pigmented really nice, creamy in texture and easy to use, both with my finger and with a brush.
The other shimmery shades are a bit chalky and even though their pigment is good and the chalkiness is doable, I would not consider them the best shades.
I find that half of the matte shades are chalky and two of them are so dry that you can’t really do an eye look with them, because they don’t really pop on the eye (as you would expect with the bright yellow).
The worst shade in this palette for me is Puppy Eyes: it’s a white shimmery shades but it’s really dry and chalky, making the shade really hard to use because it doesn’t really show up.
Considering the quality of the eye shadows, the Too Faced Sweet Peach palette is a thousand times better. However, the matte shadows that do work and the nice shimmery ones, are still enough to make a nice eye look with!
For this look I used:
- Maybelline New York Color Tattoo in ‘Crème de Rose 91’ to prime my lid;
- The shade ‘Chihuahua’ to set the eyeshadow base;
- ‘Paw Print’ to define the crease and as a transition shade;
- ‘Daddies ❤ Me’ to give the crease a purple/burgundy color;
- ‘TF Mascot’ on the inner and outer corner of my eyelid to give it the pop of color (I applied it with my finger because it did not show up with a brush);
- Catrice LE Metal Eyelight Cream eye shadow in ‘C01 Sun Kissed Miss’ in the middle of my eyelid to make the next color more intense;
- ‘Cuteness Overload’ on the middle of my eyelid, applied with my fingertip to make it extra shiny and intense;
- ‘Puppy Eyes’ mixed with ‘I Ruff You’ under my eyebrow;
- L’Oréal Paris True Match Lumi Glow Boosting Drops in ‘507 Daybreak’ in the inner corner of my eyes.
I know that the blending is not the best you will see on the internet haha, but I am actually quite proud of this look!
Other products used on my face:
- Too Faced Primed & Peachy Cooling Matte Skin Perfecting Primer;
- Tarte Shape Tape concealer in ‘Light’ mixed with Maybelline New York Fit Me concealer in ’15’.
- Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder;
- Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-hour blush in ‘Paaarty’;
- L’Oréal Paris True Match Lumi Glow Boosting Drops in ‘507 Daybreak’ as a highlighter base;
- Kylie Cosmetics Pressed Illuminating Powder in ‘Cotton Candy Cream’ ((I know the highlighter doesn’t show up in the pictures but I have to mention it 🙂 Believe me when I say that it was beautiful!);
- Benefit Foolproof Brow Powder in ‘1’;
- Maybelline New York The Collosal Big Shot volum’ express mascara waterproof mixed with Maybelline New York Lash Sensational Full Fan Effect waterproof;
- Tom Ford Ultra-Rich lip color in ’18 Marisa’.
So I do enjoy the Too Faced ‘A Girl’s Best Friend’ Eye Shadow Palette for it’s design and creative colors (for me, usually I go for the browns, mauves and golds). However, I would say only 2/3 of the shades are actually nice to work with and in my opinion that would not have been necessary when considering how amazing the quality is of the Too Faced Sweet Peach palette. So yes, I enjoy this palette and I will use it again, but if you want a Too Faced palette I would not recommend this one! Go for one of the Chocolate Palettes or the amazing Sweet Peach palette!